Real Family Recipes from Quirkykitchen.ie

QuirkyKitchen.ie coming soon! All your kitchen gadgets, utensils and accessories in one stop

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Winter Warmer - Cream of Celeriac Soup with Champagne

This recipe came from being inspired at the farmer's market.My mother in law happened to point out an extremely ugly vegetable at Sunday's farmer's market in Marylebone and said, "I've always wanted to make celeriac soup." I had to admit that this life ambition had rather passed me by, until that moment. However, I rose to the challenge, and tucked a couple of the nasty-looking tuberous roots in my bag and brought them home. Whereupon they reposed in splendor on my countertop while I ignored them and cooked other, more familiar things. Finally, though, their obstinate presence made me feel guilty, so before I could lose courage, I produced this.

Cream of Celeriac Soup with Champagne(serves four, unless you have a straw and don't tell anyone you've made it, then it serves one)
2 tbsps butter
2 bulbs celeriac, peeled and cut into smallish chunks
3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
3 cups chicken stock
1 good splash champagne (mine was rather old and flat, leftover)
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 cup single cream

I am not kidding here: simply throw all this, except for the cream, in a stockpot and boil gently for an hour. Then pulverize with a hand blender and add the cream.DIVINE! Where I thought it might be stringy, like celery soup which has to be strained, it was velvety. Where I thought it might taste as boring as it looked (white), it was complex and interesting. And where I thought it might be simply weird, it was perfect. Comforting, creamy, perfectly smooth.thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!Kristen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home